Tuesday, October 26, 2010

2D or not 2D

I was reading this article on the Popular Science website and was initially somewhat concerned. The article is about a device called a 'Holometer'. This device will be able to prove or disprove whether or not the universe is actually three dimensional or, just a hologram. The last thing I need is for one more thing to be worried about.

My first reaction was to put my hand on a wall to see if it went through it, but then I realized that my hand would also be a hologram. My second reaction was to wonder what we would do with this information if we discovered that the universe is actually an illusion. Personally, I would be relieved. I would probably be a lot more relaxed about things. If someone cut me off in traffic, instead of getting angry, I would realize that he didn't really cut me off because I'm not really here.

I guess when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter if this is all an illusion. It doesn't take away anything from what it is to us. Even if the whole universe is a movie for someone else to watch, why should we be defined by what we are to someone else rather than what we feel and experience for ourselves. Another cool thing that it would mean is that if this is all 2 dimensional, I want to be first in line when they come out with the first real 3D TVs.

No comments:

Post a Comment