Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rudolph Hitler

Pretending to forget a person's name is the best way to get under their skin. Hitler was probably used to being called a murderer, madman, egomaniac, and countless other names that reflect the atrocities that he committed. The problem with these names is that they would all feed into his ego. If I ever met him, I would constantly pretend to forget his name. I would also try to sound unimpressed when he bragged about all his accomplishments. If he was at a party and I was introducing him to someone else, I'd say, "Hey, this is Jeff's friend... sorry, was it Rudolph? I'm terrible with names."

I hate it when people introduce me as someone else's something. If I'm introduced as Tom's friend, or Dave's roommate, I will forever be associated with that person. Who will I be if Dave moves out? What I need is some kind of distinguishing accomplishment that precedes any other associations. Not quite like Hitler of course, but something outstanding. I'll start working on a list of ideas.

I think Rudolph, or whatever his name was, killed himself so that he would go down in history as the man who killed the most ruthless villain of his time. "The Man Who Killed Hitler!" What a suitable death for a egotist.

1 comment:

  1. I've given some thought to when I'm a successful-enough lawyer that I can now be a rich guy with an eccentric rich-guy hobby. Yeah, I know some of them rock-climb or collect classic cars. But anything would work, like a guy who builds miniature roller coasters, or a guy who only hunts animals with odd numbers of limbs.

    ReplyDelete