Saturday, October 9, 2010

Regrets

When I was a child, I was picked on a lot. I would spend my nights thinking of all the things I should have done and said. In my fantasies, I would take on a dozen bullies while the girl I had a crush on watched in amazement at my unmatched skill and precision with a bow staff. Last night, I was unable to sleep and after a lifetime of these fantasies, I ran out of scenarios. Countless nights of battling bullies, ninjas, zombies, robot hordes, and even accountants and I had finally run out of possible encounters.

My mind eventually wandered into new territory. I wondered, "what do bullies stay awake at night regretting?". Do they lay awake dreaming of beating up even more nerds? When you live your life taking what you want, is there anything left to want for?

I'm sure there is, and I'm sure they have their fair share of regrets. It just made me grateful that I don't have all the things I want in life.

I wonder if dogs have regrets. Not short-term regrets like wishing he hadn't eaten all those chicken bones. I'm talking about long-term regrets like never getting a bachelor's degree or whatever would be the equivalent for a dog.

Maybe dogs don't have regrets because they heard that all dogs go to heaven. Having a free pass means that they truly live in the moment. I have never met an indecisive dog. When they see a ball flying through the air, they chase the ball. It's not a decision, or even a choice. All he knows is that a ball is going where his mouth isn't and while there is blood running through his veins and oxygen pumping through his lungs, he will catch that ball or die trying. That bachelor's degree will just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment