Monday, October 11, 2010

Death Math Demographics

When people die, why is it considered rude to talk bad about them? It seems to me that it would be the best time to talk bad about them. That way, you know it would never get back to them. People talk bad about others before they die and eventually, it gets back to them and hurts their feelings.

I would prefer for people to say nothing but good things about me while I am alive and every time they have something negative to say, they could write it down on a piece of paper and then at my funeral, everyone could take turns reading what is on all the papers. Talking bad about others makes people feel good about themselves so it would help with the grieving process. Also, nobody likes the idea of a good person dying. If you hear about what a bad person they were, it won't seem quite so bad that they are gone.

Why is it that when we hear about someone dying, the first two questions we ask are how did they die and how old were they. Then we do the math in our heads to make sure we are safe. "He died of a heart attack? How old was he? 60? OK, I still have some time." Then when we here about someone dying within our own demographic, we start to worry. "He was in a car accident? I drive a car! He was 20? Oh no, I'm 25, I'm screwed." These are the deaths that keep us up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment