Saturday, August 21, 2010

Raisin Bran

Last night I needed more raisins for my raisin bran because I bought the generic brand and the ratio was off. I figured Wal-Mart would be the only thing opened so I drove down there. I got the raisins and started making my way to the checkout lane and was surprised to see that it was packed! Every register was occupied and there was a huge line at each one. Why were there so many people here this late at night? The only thing I could think of was that there was something big going down.

I quickly grabbed a cart and started loading it up as fast as I could. I loaded up on water, rice, beans, toilet paper, whatever I could fit in the cart. I wasn’t sure what the nature of the disaster was so I tried to cover the bases. I even went to the sporting goods section and grabbed a baseball bat and some pads in case I needed to throw down. I also grabbed around 20 boxes of name brand Raisin Bran, this was no time to be cheap. As I headed for the checkout lane, I looked up to see if people were still paying or if the rioting had started. Everything still looked reasonably calm so I got in line.
My heart was pumping and my mind was racing to figure out my next move. The freeways would be impassible at this point so I would have to take side streets and alleyways. All my escape routes out of the city originate from my house so I’d need to improvise based on my current location. When I got to the register, I told the cashier I was surprised she was still working there. She said something about how it was just until she got her cosmetology certification.


I didn’t quite understand what that had to do with anything, but I didn’t have time to figure it out. I ran outside and was instantly stopped in my tracks. It was bright as day outside! What does it mean? It was even worse than when that guy found a double rainbow. The only thing that came to mind was that the earth had fallen out of it’s rotation. This was worse than I thought. I got in the car to process the new information and noticed that DJ Rick was talking on the radio about the Farmer’s Market on Broadway. DJ Rick is only on air from 9 a.m. to noon. I looked at the clock and it was actually noon on a Saturday. That’s why it was so busy. I felt so silly. I was able to return everything I bought and used the experience as an opportunity to add some new contingencies to my evacuation plan. I should probably get more sleep, or maybe a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment